Friday, June 5, 2009

Black butterfly tail with bulging dragon eyes, 1992

Finally frustrated with pointillism, I revisited watercolors. I searched my books for inspiration and came up with this Chinese Goldfish book put out by Tetra. The wonderful thing about this book is that there are photos straight from China of the way goldfish are kept and propagated there and the way they were kept in palaces in ancient times when myriad servants were around to make water changes in the beautiful porcelain, marble, wood, pottery and earthenware containers. Of course all of the variations of goldfish are shown. This book really spurred my imagination.



My eye for graphics was grabbed by this image on page 67:



The book describes this fish as:

Black butterfly tail with bulging dragon eyes

An exceedingly rare variety of goldfish, renowned for its butterfly-like caudal fins. It is as black as traditional Chinese ink and has large protruding eyes. This variety of fish likes shallow water, only 10 cm deep. An adult fish measures between 15 and 20 cm.

I just had to paint this fish. So, armed with my black watercolor paint I had at it. This was the result:




I used the dry brush technique. In general I feel that I captured the spirit of the fish, but I am not happy with the scales, which I rushed because I was impatient to finish the work. I think that graphically the painting is a success. The final work is 13.5" x 10". Click to enlarge.

I would love to hear your comments.

2 comments:

redlikeroses said...

Wow! Absolutely stunning! I'm surprised you don't have more comments and views! Do you have a deviant art? Things on Deviant Art tend to get noticed very fast and its a better community for art than blogger. That is if you have one can you give me your name? If not you should make one! Here's what they look like. http://haruhappy1779.deviantart.com/ <- is mine.

Sue said...

Thank you so much for your kind words Haruhappy1779! I have just looked at Deviant Art and really like it! I may yet join, but would like to talk to some people here and see if they have heard of it. Thanks for letting me know about it!